Thursday, September 1, 2016

Traveling Update

So, it's been a few days.  Here's what's happened while I was off-line.

I left Donegal on Friday the 26th. Had an uneventful drive to the Indian Meadow Service Plaza on I80 in Ohio. I got there early enough and was able to park under a light.  This is significant not only for the safety of the light but there is no parking directly under the light.  I was able to put my passenger side slides out giving me more room inside.  There was a drawback however; I was dry camping (no power, water, sewer).  With no power and not wanting to run the generator all night to have air conditioning, it was a very hot night sleeping.  Windows open and fans on, I made it. Donegal to the Service Plaza:  311 miles.

Saturday the 27th was a challenge. I drove I80 west through Indiana and Illinois.  It rained most of the day.  The good news (?), I had to take a detour south of Chicago that I think saved me three miles.  Arrived at Geneseo Campground just east of the Mississippi River.  The rain had stopped but the site was very muddy. 
Service Plaza to Geneseo, IL:  322 miles

I set up the coach and took myself out to dinner.  Sherry, the women in the camp store, suggested a family owned place called Sweet Peas.  That's where I went.  They had pulled pork which was tempting, but then I saw Pork and Mac. Interesting.  I thought, 'I won't eat any veggies tonight, but that sounds good.'  Guess what I ordered.  That and a cup of Chicken Gumbo soup, I was all set.  The soup was spicy and the Pork and Mac was delicious.  I ordered a slice of chocolate layer cake to go and I was set for the night.

Sunday the 28th, my drive took me west of Omaha, NE.  I spent the night at Cabela's in LaVista, NE (in their parking lot).  I called ahead to make sure overnight parking is allowed.  Not only is it allowed, it's encouraged. From Geneseo, IL to LaVista, NE:  336 miles.

Well, it just so happens that a high school friend and his wife live about 10 miles east of LaVista.  I contacted them several weeks ago to let them know I would be in town and; if they had time, I would like to see them.  Paul and Astrid Bunning were happy I contacted them.  They picked me up so I wouldn't have to disconnect the car. We went to Cantina Laredo Mexican Restaurant in Omaha for dinnerOur meals were delicious.  During our time together, we caught up on what we had been doing for the last 47 years.  The visit wasn't over.  The Bunnings showed me around Old Town Omaha.  The streets were fabulous. There were hanging flower baskets and the streets brick.  The area was very clean and quite busy for a Sunday night.  We ended up at Ted & Wally's for premium homemade ice cream.  What a fabulous visit.  Thank you Paul & Astrid.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I drove, drove and drove.  From LaVista to Ogallala, NE: 317 miles; Ogallala to Rawlins, WY:  318 miles; Rawlins to Hill AFB, Ogden, UT:  279 miles.
I'll stay at Hill AFB in Ogden, UT north of Salt Lake City for four nights.  To date, I have driven 2,162 miles.  This includes the 279 miles from home to my first stop in PA.

Here are some pictures of the scenery I shot during rest area breaks. 
West Wyoming

















Echo Canyon with a very long train.







 I spent the day, 9/1, in Salt Lake City.  I will post that adventure in the next day or two.  Thanks for traveling along.

6 comments:

  1. It was great catching up with you Cris. Thoroughly enjoyed your visit and will watch for the blog updates. Be safe in your travels and enjoy. If ever in the Omaha area again give us a call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. If I'm ever in the Omaha area again I will give a call and schedule an extra day or two.

      Hope you and Astrid enjoy your holiday weekend.

      Delete
  2. So happy you saw Paul and Astrid. Stay safe my friend XO Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you saw Paul and Astrid. Stay safe my friend XO Nancy

    ReplyDelete